- April 12, 2012
- Members of the City Council
City of Tacoma, Washington
Dear Council Members:
1. This is a reminder that you are required to submit to the Public Disclosure Commission, no later than Monday, April 16, 2012, your “Personal Financial Affairs Statement.” In addition, please provide a copy of your report to the City Clerk’s Office for our records.
STUDY SESSION/WORK SESSION
2. The City Council Study Session of Tuesday, April 17, 2012, will be held in Room 16 of the Tacoma Municipal Building North. Discussion items will be: (1) Critical Area Preservation Code Proposed Amendment; (2) Prioritization of Available Bond Reallocations; (3) Future Infrastructure Funding Strategies; (4) Other Items of Interest; and (5) Agenda Review.
Community and Economic Development Director Ryan Petty forwards information regarding the Planning Commission’s recommendations for amendments to the Land Use Regulatory Code, Chapters 13.11 Critical Areas Preservation and 13.05 Land Use Permit Procedures. The Council will be briefed on the Commission's recommendations at Tuesday’s Study Session, prior to the scheduled public hearing that evening. Critical areas include: aquifer recharge areas, fish and wildlife habitat areas, flood hazard areas, geologically hazardous areas, streams, and wetlands. The Planning Commission’s recommended changes would remove barriers to restoration and enhancement activities within the City’s critical areas, as well as simplify and streamline permit requirements and enable the use of new mitigation tools, such as wetland mitigation banks and in-lieu fee programs. The proposed amendments and other background information can be viewed at www.cityoftacoma.org/planning (please click on Critical Areas Preservation Code Update).
As a second item on Tuesday’s Study Session agenda, staff will provide a follow up to the November 1, 2011 Study Session discussion on Capital Projects prioritization criteria. The discussion will include staff recommendations for prioritization of available bond reallocations.
In addition at the Study Session, staff will provide a follow-up to previous Council conversations regarding future Infrastructure funding strategies, to include the proposed process and timeline.
3. The updated Tentative Council Study Session, Workshop and Town Hall Meeting Calendar is attached for your information.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
4. You have been invited to the following events:
- The Rush Companies Showcase Open House on Friday, April 13th, 4:30 p.m., at 6622 Wollochet Drive Northwest, Gig Harbor.
- The 2012 Daffodil Festival Grand Floral Parade on Saturday, April 14th, traveling through downtown Tacoma on Pacific Avenue beginning at 10:15 a.m.
- 10th Annual Bates Sizzles Event on Thursday, April 19th, 5:30 p.m., at Pacific Grill Events Center located at 1530 Pacific Avenue.
- Grand Re-Opening of Ruston Way on Saturday, April 21st, 9:00 a.m., at 5005 Ruston Way.
- Tacoma Yacht Club’s Daffodil Marine Parade on Sunday, April 22nd, 9:00 a.m., at the Tacoma Yacht Club located at 5401 North Waterfront Drive.
- 2012 Port of Tacoma Annual Breakfast on Tuesday, April 24th, 7:30 a.m., at the Hotel Murano located at 1320 Broadway Plaza.
- Pierce College Raiders Hall of Fame Banquet on Saturday, April 28th, 6:00 p.m., at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom located at 9401 Farwest Drive, Lakewood.
T. C. Broadnax