||Public Works, Facilities Management|
Real Property Services
Real Property Services for the City of Tacoma and Tacoma Public Utilities
The Real Property Services section is devoted to the acquisition, management, and disposal of real estate property inventory and utility rights of way, and management of the City's property rights. Real Property Services supplies a variety of services and assistance to internal departments, as well as public and private entities. The section is comprised of two groups: Tacoma Public Utilities staff is responsible for the property and property rights of Tacoma Power, Tacoma Water, and Tacoma Rail. City of Tacoma Real Property Services staff is responsible for all other City of Tacoma properties and property rights such as street rights-of-way, sanitary sewer and storm drainage.
The section’s staff is comprised of individuals experienced in a variety of real estate specialties. The following is a summary of Real Property Services functions:
- Acquire rights of way and real estate required for transportation, utility, railroad, open space, public safety and other municipal needs.
- Acquire easements for power, communications, water, sanitary and storm sewer improvements in connection with City projects, the platting and development of land, and to perfect rights for existing utilities.
- Manage uses of rights of way and parcels of real estate owned or controlled by the City and Tacoma Public Utilities. Process requests for Easements, Leases, Right-of-Way Use Permits, Sidewalk Cafe' Permits (download application), Street Occupancy Permits (download application), Licenses, and Agreements that allow compatible secondary uses of City-owned real property and rights-of-way and issue accordingly. Download the land use permit application for TPU properties.
- Process Street Vacation petitions (download application). Represent the City at public hearings.
- Dispose of properties that are excess to the needs of City and Tacoma Public Utilities departments. Visit the Real Property: Surplus Listings page to view currently listed items. For additional Surplus Properties at the City of Tacoma, Tacoma School District, and Metro Parks.
- Act as custodian of real estate transaction documents such as deeds, easements, leases, franchises and permits. Manage data related to these documents. Research and provide information and expertise about real property matters to both internal and external customers.
Department Contact Information