- February 10, 2011
- Members of the City Council
City of Tacoma, Washington
Dear Council Members:
TOPICS OF INTEREST
1. Attached for your information is a list of important themes that our Management Fellows identified while attending recent Neighborhood Council meetings. This list does not include all issues addressed by Neighborhood Councils, nor is it a list of priority issues as selected by the Neighborhood Councils. The issues identified were selected by Management Fellows as themes that should be brought to the attention of the City Manager and City staff.
2. The City of Tacoma received the attached congratulatory letter from Governor Gregoire for receiving the National Association of Clean Water Agencies’ 2011 National Environmental Achievement Award, in the Operations and Environmental Performance category.
STUDY SESSION/WORK SESSION
3. The Joint City Council/Public Utility Board Study Session of Tuesday, February 15, 2011, will be held in Room 16 of the Tacoma Municipal Building North. Discussion items will be: (1) Tacoma Public Utilities Conservation Program; (2) Other Items of Interest; (3) Agenda Review; and (4) Executive Session – Pending and Potential Litigation.
At Tuesday’s Joint Study Session, Tacoma Public Utilities staff will provide Council information on Tacoma Power’s Integrated Resource Plan and outcome, including Initiative 937 requirements and a summary of Power’s conservation program history. In addition, staff will provide information on Tacoma Water’s conservation program, legislative requirements, history of the residential program, and the new commercial/industrial program.
4. At the conclusion of Tuesday’s Study Session, there will be an Executive Session to discuss pending and potential litigation.
5. The updated Tentative Council Study Session, Workshop, and Town Hall Meeting Calendar is attached for your information.
6. The Community & Economic Development Department, in coordination with the Public Works Department, provides the attached memorandum in response to questions asked at Tuesday’s Council meeting regarding Purchase Resolution 38197 – the Chinese Fuzhou Pavilion “Fuzhou Ting” as it relates to funding.
7. For your information, the City was awarded the following grants:
• 2010 Statewide Transportation Enhancement Program – The City has been awarded $1,510,000, with a zero match requirement, for the Foss Waterway Site 11 Esplanade – Phase 2 project. Phase 2 of the project will include 350’ esplanade, landscaping, lighting, railing, etc as part of a $40 million phase of a mixed-use co-development project on the north end of the Foss Waterway. This funding can only be used for transportation related activities designed to strengthen the cultural aesthetic and environmental aspects of the nation’s transportation system. Funds must be obligated within two years of selection approval.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
8. You have been invited to the following events:
• Heritage Brunch and Blessing of Good Samaritan Hospital’s new Patient Care Tower on Friday, February 11th, 10:30 a.m., at 407 14th Avenue Southeast, Puyallup.
• Private Grand Opening Celebration of the new Good Samaritan Hospital on Friday, February 11th, 6:30 p.m., at 407 14th Avenue Southeast, Puyallup.
• Grand Opening of the new Titus-Will Toyota on Tuesday, February 15, 4:00 p.m., at 3606 South Sprague Avenue.
• Pierce County Regional Council’s Annual General Assembly on Thursday, February 17th, 6:00 p.m., at Bates Technical College, South Campus, located at 2201 South 78th Street.
• Tacoma Council Parent Teacher Association’s 100th Birthday Celebration on Thursday, February 17th, at 4:30 p.m., at Lincoln High School, Cafeteria and Auditorium, located at 701 S 37th Street.
• Cascade Regional Blood Services’ Eighth Annual Donor Appreciation Event on Thursday, February 17th, 5:30 p.m., at the Landmark Convention Center, located at 47 Saint Helens Avenue.
• Hilltop Action Coalition Block Leader’s Meeting to discuss Registered Sex Offender Multihouses on Monday, February 21st, 6:00 p.m., 1524 Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
ERIC A. ANDERSON