- April 5, 2012
- Members of the City Council
City of Tacoma, Washington
Dear Council Members:
1. This is a reminder that you are required to submit to the Public Disclosure Commission, no later than Monday, April 16, 2012, your “Personal Financial Affairs Statement.” In addition, please provide a copy of your report to the City Clerk’s Office for our records.
TOPICS OF INTEREST
2. Tacoma’s Sister City Program recently got two pieces of good news: 1) Tacoma won the bid to host the 2013 Sister Cities International Regional Conference; and 2) Sister Cities International awarded Tacoma funding for a Japan exchange. Details on both of these items appears in the attached memorandum from Community and Economic Development Director Ryan Petty.
3. The agenda for the Public Utility Board meeting of April 11, 2012, is attached for your information.
4. At the last Council meeting, a citizen raised concerns over Purchase Resolution No. 38468, awarding a contract to Lenco Armored Vehicles for the purchase of one BearCat armored swat truck. This item is back on Tuesday’s Council agenda for your consideration. At my request, Police Chief Ramsdell provides the attached memorandum with responses to questions and concerns raised during the discussion.
STUDY SESSION/WORK SESSION
5. The Joint City Council/Board of Park Commissioners Study Session of Tuesday, April 10, 2012, will be held in Room 16 of the Tacoma Municipal Building North. The discussion item will be: (1) Metro Parks Transition Plan Update. Immediately following the Joint Study Session, there will be a regular Study Session. Discussion items will be: (1) Other Items of Interest; (2) Agenda Review; and (3) Closed Session – Labor Negotiations.
The Metro Parks Transition Plan Policy Team, which consists of representatives from both the City and Metro Parks, has been working on the transition of City property to Metro Parks to centralize all park facilities, operations and maintenance with Metro Parks as the provider, whenever possible, where it is to the mutual benefit of both parties and the citizens. At today’s Study Session, the Team will provide an update on the Transition Plan.
6. The updated Tentative Council Study Session, Workshop and Town Hall Meeting Calendar is attached for your information.
7. At the March 27th Study Session, Community & Economic Development Department staff briefed Council on the new business development website, TacomaMeansBusiness.com. Council members made some requests and raised some questions. Ryan Petty provides responses in the attached memorandum.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
8. You have been invited to the following events:
- Community Health Care Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new Hilltop Regional Health Center on Wednesday, April 11th, 11:00 a.m.-Noon, at 1202 Martin Luther King Jr. Way. Reception to follow at the Allen AME Church located at 1223 Martin Luther King Jr. Way.
- Air Force Commanders Reception on Thursday, April 12th, 5:00 p.m., at the Hotel Murano located at 1320 Broadway.
- The Rush Companies Showcase Open House on Friday, April 13th, 4:30 p.m., at 6622 Wollochet Drive Northwest, Gig Harbor.
- The 2012 Daffodil Festival Grand Floral Parade on Saturday, April 14th, traveling through downtown Tacoma on Pacific Avenue beginning at 10:15 a.m.
- 10th Annual Bates Sizzles Event on Thursday, April 19th, 5:30 p.m., at Pacific Grill Events Center located at 1530 Pacific Avenue.
- Grand Re-Opening of Ruston Way on Saturday, April 21st, 9:00 a.m., at 5005 Ruston Way.
- Tacoma Yacht Club’s Daffodil Marine Parade on Sunday, April 22nd, 9:00 a.m., at the Tacoma Yacht Club located at 5401 North Waterfront Drive.
- 2012 Port of Tacoma Annual Breakfast on Tuesday, April 24th, 7:30 a.m., at the Hotel Murano located at 1320 Broadway Plaza.
- Pierce College Raiders Hall of Fame Banquet on Saturday, April 28th, 6:00 p.m., at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom located at 9401 Farwest Drive, Lakewood.