FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 11, 2012
Rob McNair-Huff, Community Relations, email@example.com, (253) 591-5054
Karrie Spitzer, Community Relations, firstname.lastname@example.org, (253) 591-5790
Tacoma residents are invited to participate in the creation of the 2013-2014 Biennial Budget through a series of Community Budget Input Meetings in late June and July in the five City Council Districts across the city.
The purpose of the Community Budget Input Meetings is to help residents understand the City’s budget development process and provide an opportunity to speak with City officials about current and future budget allocations and priorities. Current projections for the City’s General Fund in the 2013-2014 biennium anticipate a budget gap between $60 and $65 million.
Input from residents will be used by City staff to help determine how General Fund dollars will be spent on such services as those provided by police, fire, libraries, street maintenance, social services and support for the arts and cultural programs.
Meetings will be held on the following schedule:
• June 25 – 6 p.m. at the Main Tacoma Library, 1102 Tacoma Ave., Olympic Room
• June 27 – 5:30 p.m. at the Wheelock Library, 3722 N. 26th St.
• June 28 – 6 p.m. at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 6730 N. 17th St.
• July 9 – 6 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club, 3875 S. 66th St., Community Room
• July 11 – 6 p.m. at the Moore Library, 215 S. 56th St.
• July 12 – 6 p.m. at the Center at Norpoint, 4818 Nassau Ave.
• July 16 – 6 p.m. at the Snake Lake Nature Center, 1919 S. Tyler St.
• July 18 – 6 p.m. at Stadium High School, 111 N. E St.
• July 19 – 6 p.m. at Lincoln High School, 701 S. 37th St.
• July 23 – 6 p.m. at Baker Middle School, 8001 S. J St.
The Community Budget Input Meetings will be hosted by the City Council members representing each of the five Council Districts, and will include a short presentation by City Manager T.C. Broadnax followed by opportunities to interact with City staff and provide feedback on your budget priorities.