1572 - Low Income Energy Assistance
There are special discount rates for all City of Tacoma utilities available to qualified, low-income customers who are 62 years of age or older or disabled and receiving disability income. They are:
• 25 percent discount from Tacoma Power, Tacoma Water and Sewer Utility
• 30 percent discount from Solid Waste Utility
• 20 percent discount on Click! Network cable television service through Click! Network
To qualify for this rate, you must meet all of the following criteria:
• You must be a City utilities customer and have the account in your name
• You must be the head of the household
• Your household income from all sources must not exceed certain income guidelines.
• You must be 62 years or older or disabled, receiving disability income
• Unemployable benefits must reapply every six months.
In addition, Those who receive Labor and Industries or General Assistance Unemployable benefits must reapply every six months.
South Sound Outreach Services will screen applicants to determine eligibility. To apply, call 593-3499, or visit them at 1106 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, in Tacoma. Click! Network customers can call the Customer Care office for information at 502-8900.
Family Need assistance is for Tacoma Power customers whose household consists of children under 18 years old. Family Need funds are used only to pay Tacoma Power electric bills, and cannot be used for deposits or other service charges.
To qualify for Family Need:
• You must be a Tacoma Power customer with the account in your name.
• You must have children under 18 living with you.
• Your home must have electric heat.
• Your income from all sources must not exceed certain income guidelines.
Qualified customers may receive one-time assistance of $150. Customers may use Family Need once in a 12-month period.
To receive help, call the agency that serves your area:
Within the City of Tacoma limits, call the Metropolitan Development Council at 572-5557 or visit 721 South Fawcett Ave., in Tacoma.
If you live in University Place, Fircrest, Lakewood or other areas within Pierce County, contact Pierce County Community Service' toll free phone number, 1-866-223-1068.
A federal energy assistance program is available for low-income customers who need help paying their winter electric heating bills. These federal funds are distributed annually on a first-come, first-served basis.
To apply and verify that funds are available, please call the agency that serves your area:
• If you live in the City of Tacoma, call Metropolitan Development Council. at 572-5557.
• If you live in University Place, Fircrest, Lakewood, or other areas within Pierce County, call Pierce County Community Services' toll free number, 1-866-223-1068.
Customers with electric heat may be eligible for financial assistance to have insulation and window improvements on their homes, if their homes meet certain construction criteria and if they meet certain income guidelines. These improvements can save you on your energy bills and make your home more comfortable. The program is available to homeowners and renters.
Tacoma Power also has a weatherization service. Call 502-8363 for information or stop by the office on the main floor of the Tacoma Public Utilities building, 3628 South 35th St. from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Return to Tacoma Public Utilities listings
Return to AccessLine home