• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Hazardous Waste

Face Masks or Cloth Face Covering
The state has issued an order directing businesses to require and enforce the use of face coverings by all customers and visitors. With this order, all visitors to the Tacoma Recovery and Transfer Center must wear a face mask beginning July 7, until further notice. Click HERE for more information on the three face cover orders in place. 


To help minimize the spread of COVID-19 and conserve limited supplies, Solid Waste Management is reducing hours and services at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility starting Tuesday, April 7, until further notice. Effective this date, the Household Hazardous Waste Facility will be closed Tuesdays through Thursdays and will be open Fridays through Mondays from 8 AM to 5:30 PM.  Click here to learn more.


The City of Tacoma’s Solid Waste Management is experiencing COVID-19 impacts, which may result in service, facility, or collection schedule changes for both residential and commercial customers. For the most recent updates and information visit cityoftacoma.org/solidwaste.

Proper disposal of hazardous waste is important for you, your family and the environment. We provide the Household Hazardous Waste Facility for you to use to safely get rid of hazardous waste.

Download the City of Tacoma Household Hazardous Waste Guide

Residential - Household Hazardous Waste Center

At this time, only essential household hazardous waste from residential customers is allowed, such as material that cannot be safely and temporarily stored at home. However, non-essential household hazardous waste such as small quantities of fluorescent bulbs or batteries should be safely stored at home until the facility resumes regular service. 


Household hazardous waste is accepted at the Tacoma Recovery & Transfer Center. Tacoma and Pierce County residents can bring their household hazardous waste to our facility for no extra charge with proof of residency. There is a 30-gallon per customer per day limit.

Household hazardous waste should be properly disposed of and is not accepted as garbage. Please make sure liquids are in sturdy leak-proof containers. For your safety, when preparing to dispose of household chemicals from your home to City of Tacoma HHW facility, please be aware of the labels and dangers associated with those chemicals. Place the containers upright in boxes so that they are clearly visible for the technicians to unload from your vehicle. Do not use plastic bags, as household hazardous waste can mix together inside the bags and create unnecessary safety risks. If you have concerns over unknown chemicals in your possession, please contact us at (253) 591-5418.

Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste

  • Acids and caustics
  • Antifreeze
  • Automotive products
  • Batteries (car, button, and household - alkaline, Ni-Cd, Ni-MH and lithium)
  • Flammable liquids
  • Fluorescent bulbs and tubes
  • Gas and fuel
  • Glues
  • Household cleaners
  • Hypodermic needles or syringes (sealed inside a rigid container)
  • Insecticides
  • Mercury thermometers/thermostats
  • Motor oil at the self-serve tank
  • Oil-based paints
  • Pool chemicals
  • Solvents
  • Yard and garden chemicals
  • Computer towers, monitors, TVs, and laptops ONLY (accepted at Recycle Center and Goodwill)

Non-Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste

  • Ammunition and explosives
  • Asbestos - accepted by appointment only for a fee at the Tacoma Recovery & Transfer Center; City of Tacoma residents only
  • Commercial/business hazardous waste
  • Contaminated soil
  • Latex paint (water-based) or water-based stain
  • Medical waste


Computer towers, monitors, TVs, and laptops are the ONLY electronics accepted at the Tacoma Recycle Center - Goodwill location at 3510 S. Mullen Street. All other electronics must be donated or recycled elsewhere. 


Electronics are also accepted by: E-Cycle Washington
Take it Back Network
You also can check with manufacturers for possible take-back programs, watch for retailer recycling events or donate working electronics to charities.

The Take It Back Network also accepts florescent bulbs (CFLs) and tubes.
Cell phones, batteries and chargers can be recycled for free at the Tacoma Recycling Center, Tacoma Municipal Building and the Tacoma Public Utilities Lobby.


Commercial - Hazardous Waste Assistance

Tacoma businesses are eligible for hazardous waste assistance. We can help provide:

  • Disposal options
  • Best Practices for accumulating and labeling waste
  • Notifying the Department of Ecology
  • Working with private contractors to arrange for disposal
  • Information on how to help avoid generating excess waste