• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma OpenData


Tenant Relocation Assistance Funding

Under Tacoma Municipal Code 1.95, eligible tenant households are entitled to receive relocation assistance of $2,000 to assist in the costs of moving in situations where they are being displaced due to significant rehabilitation, demolition, or change in use of their rented residence. The property owner is required to pay half that amount ($1,000), and the City of Tacoma pays the remaining half ($1,000 per unit).


To receive relocation assistance, tenants must meet several requirements:

  1. Qualify as low-income: total combined income for all occupants of your housing unit cannot exceed 50% of the median income for a household of that size in this area.
  2. Reside in the housing unit at the time the owner notified the City of Tacoma about the planned change in property.
  3. Complete and return the landlord provided Relocation Assistance Certification Form to the City of Tacoma no later than 20 days after receiving the packet.

How to Apply for Relocation Assistance

If you believe your household qualifies based on your income and the reason your tenancy was terminated, please complete and submit the Relocation Assistance Packet (that you should receive from your landlord with your 120-day notice to vacate) and the verifying documents to:


Relocation Assistance Program

747 Market Street #836

Tacoma, WA 98402


You may also email packets to tenantrelocationassistance@cityoftacoma.org.


If you believe you may qualify for relocation assistance but have not received a Relocation Assistance Packet from your landlord, please contact the City's Customer Support Center at 3-1-1 (or (253)-591-5000 outside Tacoma city limits).


Information for Landlords

If you need Relocation Assistance packets for your tenants or have questions, please contact us online via TacomaFIRST 311 or call 311 or (253) 591-5000 (outside Tacoma city limits).