• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Special Event and Film Permits

**Special Events Funding Program Application Window Has Closed**


REVISED Selection Schedule 

Deadline to Submit Application: November 30, 2022
Application Panel Review and Selection: December 21 - January 9

Events Occur: January 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023




Welcome to the City of Tacoma's Special Events Office 


Click here to access the permit application form


Payment of fees will not be assessed until after the review period is completed. If you prefer a paper application, please call our office.  


Special Event Road Closure Public Notice Fees

For details about new fees, visit the Fees Schedule web page.



If you are considering an event-related street closure that normally requires police officers please contact this office at (253) 970-3866 before submitting an application. Resources are limited, and we want to help you find the best solution for your event. Tacoma Police Department requires advance notice in order to staff various events. This can be done by contacting TPD Special Events at TacomaPoliceEvents@cityoftacoma.org or (253) 591-5932.


Tacoma's Special Events Office is Here to Assist

Whether producing an event or a film, the City's Special Events Office is here to assist you with all aspects of the permitting process. On these pages you'll find information, requirements and suggestions on how to make the process as smooth as possible. Don't hesitate to call the office any time at (253) 573-2523. And thanks for choosing Tacoma!


Requirements for a Special Event Permit

Before beginning, check out the Requirements page (Terms and Conditions) to be sure you are informed about what's expected in the application process.

Applications should be submitted no later than 60 days prior to the event date. This allows for proper internal review as well as the required notification to impacted residents and/or businesses.

What is a Special Event?
A special event is any organized formation or assembly consisting of 50 or more persons and which include any combination of animals, vehicles, that wishes to assemble and/or travel on streets or sidewalks, and which does not comply with normal or usual traffic regulation or controls. This also applies to a public beach, park or plaza.

Types of Events
Concerts, parades, circuses, fairs, festivals, block parties, community events, fund-raising events, private parties, promotional events, marathons and running events, bicycle races or tours, and Constitutionally Protected Activities.

Apply for a Master Film Permit
You may request an application from the Special Events Office or print a Master Film Permit Application form. Master Film Permits may be submitted within a week of production depending on the complexity of the project. The Tacoma Municipal Code specifies the guidelines for issuing Master Film Permits, as well as other requirements. You may want to review this chapter before submitting your application.


Special Event Tip Sheet 


Special Events Office
Kala Dralle
Permitting Authority
2727 East D Street (Tacoma Dome)
Tacoma, WA 98421

Phone: (253) 573-2523

Tacoma Police Department
Sgt. Jason Mills
Special Events Sergeant
Phone: (253) 591-5990


Tacoma Fire Department
Operational Permits

Phone: (253) 591-5740