• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Hazardous Waste

Proper disposal of hazardous waste is important for you, your family and the environment. We provide the Household Hazardous Waste Facility for you to use to safely get rid of hazardous waste.

Download the City of Tacoma Household Hazardous Waste Guide

Residential - Household Hazardous Waste Center

Household hazardous waste is accepted at the Tacoma Recovery & Transfer Center. Tacoma and Pierce County residents can bring their household hazardous waste to our facility for no extra charge with proof of residency. There is a 30-gallon per customer per day limit.

Household hazardous waste should be properly disposed of and is not accepted as garbage. Please make sure liquids are in sturdy leak-proof containers.

Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste

  • Acids and caustics
  • Antifreeze
  • Automotive products
  • Batteries (car, button, household)
  • Flammable liquids
  • Fluorescent bulbs and tubes
  • Gas and fuel
  • Glues
  • Household cleaners
  • Hypodermic needles or syringes (sealed inside a rigid container)
  • Insecticides
  • Mercury thermometers/thermostats
  • Motor oil at the self-serve tank
  • Oil-based paints
  • Pool chemicals
  • Solvents
  • Yard and garden chemicals
  • Electronics (accepted at Recycle Center and Goodwill)

Non-Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste

  • Ammunition and explosives
  • Asbestos - accepted by appointment only for a fee at the Tacoma Recovery & Transfer Center; City of Tacoma residents only
  • Commercial/business hazardous waste
  • Contaminated soil
  • Latex paint (water-based) or water-based stain
  • Medical waste


Electronics are also accepted by: E-Cycle Washington
Take it Back Network
You also can check with manufacturers for possible take-back programs, watch for retailer recycling events or donate working electronics to charities.

The Take It Back Network also accepts florescent bulbs (CFLs) and tubes.
Cell phones, batteries and chargers can be recycled for free at the Tacoma Recycling Center, Tacoma Municipal Building and the Tacoma Public Utilities Lobby.


Commercial - Hazardous Waste Assistance

Tacoma businesses are eligible for hazardous waste assistance. We can help provide:

  • Disposal options
  • Best Practices for accumulating and labeling waste
  • Notifying the Department of Ecology
  • Working with private contractors to arrange for disposal
  • Information on how to help avoid generating excess waste