• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Animal Care and Control

New Animal Licensing Fees in 2017

On November 22, 2016, the Tacoma City Council passed a revised schedule of license fees. The revenue will support an additional Animal Control Officer that will allow Animal Control services to be offered seven days a week. The table below outlines the revised license fees.  View a complete copy of the ordinance. Animal license fees for the City of Fircrest have not changed.


Pet License  2016 License Fee Amount of Increase Current License Fee
 Cat Altered  $12  $8  $20
 Cat Unaltered  $55  $10  $65
 Dog Altered  $20  $10  $30
 Dog Unaltered  $55  $10  $65
Cat Altered - Senior Citizen/Disabled Owner  $5  $0  $5
Cat Unaltered - Senior Citizen/Disabled Owner  $30  $5  $35
 Dog Altered - Senior Citizen/Disabled Owner  $10  $0  $10
Dog Unaltered -Senior Citizen/Disabled Owner  $30  $5  $35


Animal Licensing

Animal Licensing issues licenses for dogs and cats over the age of eight weeks for the Cities of Tacoma and Fircrest. Residents are required to obtain a pet license within 30 days of moving into the city. For questions regarding pet licenses call (253) 627-PETS (7387).  Select option 1.

Animal Licensing is Going Paperless!

Animal Licensing has been working to decrease the amount of paper used and increase efficiencies. In that effort we are asking for your help. Starting in 2016, license renewals will be sent to your email rather than a paper notice. To ensure delivery of invoices, please add chameleon@ci.tacoma.wa.us to your approved email contact list. Thank you for helping us in this sustainable effort.  Register your email and go paperless

License Your Pet

License online - a new pet or renewal
License by mail for City of Tacoma residents
License by mail for City of Fircrest residents

         Tacoma pet license fees

         Fircrest pet license fees


New pets receive a permanent tag within three to five business days of licensing. Replacement tags are available for $5.


Animal Control Officers

The City of Tacoma Animal Control and Compliance responds to calls and complaints in the Cities of Tacoma, Fircrest and Ruston. For emergencies, stray animals or humans that are in immediate imminent danger, please call 911.  


Animal complaints can be filed online through TacomaFIRST 311. Please see the list below and click the appropriate link to log a compliant.  Please note: All complaints submitted through TacomaFIRST 311 are subject to Public Disclosure if not done anonymously.


Animal Bite:     Non-emergency animal bites only. Please call 911 if it's an emergency.

Animal Issue:   Issues such as Abandoned/Neglected/Barking or Deceased Animals.


Coyote Sighting


Leash Law Violation


Scoop Law Violation


To file a complaint over the phone call (253) 627-7387 and select option 2 for Animal Control. 


Wild Animals and Animal Control

City of Tacoma Animal Care and Control Officers do not handle wild animals. Coyotes, opossums, and raccoons are just some of the wildlife becoming more visible now that we are building structures in their natural habitat.


For wild animal issues please contact the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
For wild animals that you suspect may be injured, please contact PAWS Wildlife Center or Sarvey Wildlife Center.

PAWS Wildlife Center
(425) 787-2500 extension 817
Sarvey Wildlife Center
(360) 435-4817
Title 17- City Law requires that all cats and dogs be licensed

RCW Title 16 - Washington State law for Animals and Livestock


Helpful Phone Numbers

Organization Phone Number
Humane Society Found Dog recording (253) 596-8561
Humane Society Found Cat recording (253) 596-8989
Humane Society General Information (253) 383-2733
Health Department (report bites) (253) 798-7694
Department of Fish and Wildlife (wild animals) (360) 249-4628
Mobile Pet Vaccination (Protect a Pet) (800) 772-6361
Poison Control (handles animals, too) (800) 222-1222
Fort Lewis/McChord Animal Clinic (253) 982-3951
Fort Lewis Base Locator (253) 967-6221
Fort Lewis Housing Customer Service (253) 966-4663
Fort Lewis Lodging (253) 967-2977
Lakewood Animal Control (253) 830-5010
Lakewood City Hall (253) 589-2489
Fircrest Barking (253) 565-1198
University Place Animal Control (253) 798-7387
Unincorporated Pierce County (253) 798-PETS (7387)
Contact Us
747 Market Street
Room 212
Tacoma, WA 98402

(253) 627-PETS
(253) 627-7387

Monday - Friday
8 AM - 5 PM